Designed by Architectus in association with Athfield Architects the Waitakere Civic Centre in Henderson seeks to optimise the City's sustainable design objectives by integrating new energy efficient Council facilities with a new transport interchange.
Sited adjacent to the North Auckland Rail Line the new Civic Centre comprises three main elements - the Civic Wing containing the Council Chamber, Councillor's facilities and the Directorate; the Administration Wing containing public interface facilities and open-plan office space for council staff and the Link element which forms the main public access and pedestrian connection to the new rail station and Henderson CBD.
Proximity to good public transport and good amenities for staff were important considerations for the selection of the site for the new centre.
Energy efficiency has been achieved with measures such as extensive sun screening, high levels of thermal insulation, integrated air floors and extensive use of natural daylighting. Materials have been carefully chosen from sustainable and recyclable sources. Water use has been minimised and storm water is treated on site through a Green Roof and Rain Gardens prior to entering the public system.
Within the Administration Wing a grand staircase connects the staff areas across a five storey void discouraging lift usage and promoting staff interaction and socialisation.
Local cultural heritage is expressed in particular in the Council Chamber, the form of which reflects that of a gourd, a significant artefact for local Iwi.
- Waitakere City Council
- Auckland, New Zealand
- Floor area
- 13 400 m²
- Original value
- Malcolm Bowes
- NZ Property Council Special Purpose Building - Excellence
- NZ Property Council Urban Design Award
- NZIA Resene Local Award for Architecture 2007
- NZIA Resene New Zealand Award for Architecture 2008
Also in this category
- CSIRO Bribie Island Aquaculture Facility
- Aotea Square Redevelopment Architectural Elements
- Boroondara Community Health Centre Extension
- International Criminal Court
- Maanshan Administration Centre, China
- Melbourne Airport T2 Expansion
- New Lynn Community Centre
- New Lynn TOD Transit Oriented Development
- Nunawading Fire Station
- Queen Elizabeth II Courts of Law
- Queensland Emergency Operations Centre
- Queensland Gallery of Modern Art
- Sunshine Coast University Hospital
- Sydney International Convention Exhibition and Entertainment Precinct
- Waitakere Central Library & UNITEC Facilities
- Waitakere Civic Centre
- Waitakere Civil Defence Headquarters