- About Us
St Peter's College Technology Building
"Resisting the temptation to form a curve, or indeed any other modish form, they have folded a piece of the motorway into a cranked, defensive palisade - forming an apparently effortless integration of architecture and sculpture."
Charles Walker Architecture New Zealand November/December 2001
St Peter's College is huddled on its restricted urban site constrained by a motorway, railway line and two major urban roads.
The new Technology Building is a collection of generic rooms; flexible, decent sized workshops, laboratories and studios.
Sited hard against the motorway edge it forms one side of a new courtyard and is linked by a cloister, open stair and bridges to the adjacent buildings.
Exposed aggregate pre-cast concrete walls with glazed slots face the motorway, enclosing three sides of the building and establishing a strong presence to the passing traffic.
The fourth side, facing the new courtyard is predominantly glazed, with external or covered circulation spaces allowing for informal gathering of students and communication.
The building hovers above and on the edge of the motorway, set slightly off the block work base that supports it. As a result, it appears to belie its actual weight and physicality.
- Roman Catholic Bishop of Auckland
- Auckland, New Zealand
- Floor area
- 1400 m²
- Original value
- Patrick Clifford
- NZIA Resene Supreme Award for Architecture 2002
- NZIA Resene NZ Award for Architecture 2002
- NZIA Resene Branch Award for Architecture 2001
Also in this category
- Arts West, University of Melbourne
- Auckland Grammar School Specialist Block
- Auckland Grammar School Sports Complex - Gymnasium
- Ballarat & Clarendon College Visual Arts Centre
- Balwyn High School Year 9 Explore Centre
- Camberwell Grammar School HR McDonald Building
- Canterbury College Junior School
- Haileybury Brighton Junior School + Girls Middle School
- James Cook University Clinical Practices Building
- Korowa Anglican Girls’ Senior School Redevelopment
- Learning Environments Spatial Lab
- Mandeville Centre, Loreto Mandeville Hall
- Mathematics Statistics and Computer Sciences Building
- Netball Court Cover - The University of Auckland
- Pakuranga Children’s Health Camp
- Population Health Complex The University of Auckland
- Saint Kentigern School Jubilee Sports Centre
- St Andrew's College Chapel
- St Cuthbert's College Performing Arts Centre
- St Cuthbert’s College Centennial Centre
- St Michael’s Grammar Allan Pizzey Building
- St Peter's College Middle School
- St Peter's College Sports Complex
- St Peter's College Technology Building
- St Sebastian's Primary School
- Star of the Sea Performing Arts Centre
- Sustainable Industries Education Centre (SIEC)
- Sydney Nanoscience Hub
- Te Puni Village, Victoria University of Wellington
- Teacher Support Services Centre
- The Gipson Commons, St Michael’s Grammar School
- The Tintern Schools Middle Schools, Ringwood
- The University of Auckland Sector 200 Master Plan
- The University of Queensland School of Veterinary Science
- University of Queensland Fitness & Aquatic Centre
- University of the Sunshine Coast Chancellery
- Victoria University of Wellington Campus Hub & Library
- William Macmahon Ball Theatre, Faculty of Arts