The New Middle School, anchors the campus at its southeast corner and gives St Peter's a defining presence on its border with Mountain Road.
St Peter's College is an inner city single sex school huddled onto a tight site between a motorway and busy arterial roads. The school buildings wrap tightly around the edges of the school's main playing field.
The New Middle School provides classrooms and resource spaces for the junior years of the college, students who had previously been on a separate site and who, still, within the larger organisation form a separate entity.
The building reflects this condition by establishing a powerful relationship with the school grounds; asserting its own identity while forming an edge to the school as a whole.
Sitting on a raised plateau above Mountain Road the three storey L-shaped building faces into the school and towards the afternoon sun, its structure revealed but its classrooms sheltered.
Along Mountain Road the façade is sterner and more formal anchoring the campus at its southeast corner, and giving St Peter's a defining presence on one of its borders with the encircling roads.
- Roman Catholic Bishop of Auckland
- Auckland, New Zealand
- Floor area
- 1100 m²
- Original value
- Patrick Clifford
- NZIA Resene NZ Award for Architecture 2004
Also in this category
- Auckland Grammar School Specialist Block
- Auckland Grammar School Sports Complex - Gymnasium
- Australia National University Laurus Wing Modular Student Housing
- Australian National University Mt Stromlo Student Housing
- Ballarat & Clarendon College Visual Arts Centre
- Balwyn High School Year 9 Explore Centre
- Camberwell Grammar School HR McDonald Building
- Canterbury College Junior School
- Korowa Anglican Girls’ Senior School Redevelopment
- Learning Environments Spatial Lab
- Mathematics Statistics and Computer Sciences Building
- Monash Centre for Electron Microscopy
- Netball Court Cover - The University of Auckland
- Pakuranga Children’s Health Camp
- Population Health Complex The University of Auckland
- Ray Meyer Research Centre, The University of Auckland
- Saint Kentigern School Jubilee Sports Centre
- St Cuthbert's College Performing Arts Centre
- St Michael’s Grammar Allan Pizzey Building
- St Peter's College Middle School
- St Peter's College Sports Complex
- St Peter's College Technology Building
- Star of the Sea Performing Arts Centre
- Te Puni Village, Victoria University of Wellington
- Teacher Support Services Centre
- The University of Queensland School of Veterinary Science
- University of Queensland Fitness & Aquatic Centre
- University of the Sunshine Coast Chancellery
- UNSW Village
- UWS Student Housing
- William Macmahon Ball Theatre, Faculty of Arts