- About Us
Waitakere Central Library & UNITEC Facilities
Designed by Architectus Auckland in conjunction with Athfield Architects, this project consists of the new Waitakere City Central Library, which also integrates the UNITEC collection, and new teaching facilities for the UNITEC Institute of Technology.
Sited adjacent to the existing UNITEC building in Henderson, the two buildings (and a third, attached car parking building) are arranged around a new pedestrian street and urban square to form a new civic precinct. Part of a building programme that includes the nearby Waitakere Civic Centre, the project is intended to act as a catalyst for the future development of the Henderson CBD.
The Library is the largest in the City, with a depth of collection and a range of services greater than any of the city's other libraries. The collections available include a specialist collection for the entire library system, an extensive New Zealand and Pacific collection and a developing corporate library service.
The general health collection of the adjacent UNITEC Nursing and Health Studies faculties have been integrated with the public collection while the specialist textbooks have a separate section for staff and students on the upper floor of the library.
The new UNITEC building accommodates general teaching, laboratories, lecture and student facilities and administration.
- Waitakere City Council / UNITEC
- Auckland, New Zealand
- Floor area
- 8000 m²
- Original value
- Malcolm Bowes
- NZIA Resene Local Award for Architecture 2006
Also in this category
- AMI Stadium
- Aotea Square Redevelopment Architectural Elements
- Boroondara Community Health Centre Extension
- Brisbane Powerhouse Refurbishment
- Christchurch New Central Library
- International Criminal Court
- Maanshan Administration Centre, China
- New Lynn Community Centre
- Nunawading Fire Station
- Papua New Guinea National Museum and Art Gallery
- Queen Elizabeth II Courts of Law
- Queensland Emergency Operations Centre
- Queensland Gallery of Modern Art
- Shepparton Law Court Redevelopment
- Sydney International Convention Exhibition and Entertainment Precinct
- Waitakere Central Library & UNITEC Facilities
- Waitakere Civic Centre
- Waitakere Civil Defence Headquarters