- About Us
The UNSW Student Housing Project provides new self contained accommodation on a 1.8 ha site located along High St, Kensington and situated within the university campus.
Providing a total of 240 self contained units comprising 1021 bedrooms, together with a range of common facilities, this proposal promotes the character of the campus and provides a considered balance between the busy, urban spaces for gathering and community connectivity, transition spaces and quiet, contemplative spaces more closely related to this residential precinct.
The proposal is sensitive to, and respects, the heritage significance of the Fig Tree Theatre, Old Tote Building and White House and courtyard space (Old Tote Courtyard).
The bulk of the building complex is placed within the ‘thin plan' 8 storey wings that run north south. This configuration allows the density and bulk to be reduced towards the boundaries and to the main entry courtyards at the east and west end of the site.
Sustainability is at the core of the design. The principles and technologies employed include cross ventilation and natural daylighting to all spaces, insulated walls and roofs, solar hot water, grey water reuse for laundries, orientation and sunshading, vented floor slabs, and rainwater storage.
University architecture is an opportunity to contribute something more than the obvious shelter/accommodation. Resonant design reinforces the principles of a comprehensive education - these are things that should remain with a student for life.
- 2010 Australian Institute of Architects (NSW) Residential Architecture - Multiple Housing Award
- 2010 Australian Institute of Architects National Commendation Residential Architecture - Multiple Housing
- 2010 Randwick City Council Urban Design Awards - Sustainability + Multi-unit Housing Awards
- 2010 (MBA) NSW Integrated Housing Award
- 2010 UDIA (NSW) Austral Bricks Awards for Excellence - Sustainable Development Award
Also in this category
- 115 Bathurst Street
- 443 Queen Street
- Australia National University Laurus Wing Modular Student Housing
- Australian National University Mt Stromlo Student Housing
- Avenue House
- Beijing 8 Chang’an
- Byron Bay House
- Clifford-Forsyth House
- Clothiers Creek House
- Dunstan Grove, Lindfield
- Edwards House
- Harbord Diggers Redevelopment
- Highgate Hill House
- House of Orange
- Kerrisdale Gardens Aged Care Community
- Leicester Street Village, University of Melbourne
- Na’s House
- North Eveleigh Affordable Housing
- North Shore House
- Ocean Beach Hotel
- One Queensbridge
- Shout Ridge, Lindfield
- Site 68 Sydney Olympic Park
- Skye Niseko, Hokkaido
- St Lucia House
- Te Horo House
- The Women’s College New Student Accommodation
- Toy Box House
- Trinity Apartments
- University of Newcastle Student Housing
- UNSW Village
- UWS Student Housing
- ‘Islands’ South Beach