- About Us
Thornton Park Master Plan
Continuing our long standing relationship with Penrith City Council in preparing their Residential Strategy and Urban Lands LEP and DCP, the Commonwealth Department of Defence commissioned Architectus to rezone and master plan their surplus land at North Penrith.
Within six months of the commission (following 10 years of unsuccessful negotiations by others) Council agreement was achieved to rezone the 50 hectare site to a true urban village guided by a detailed site specific Development Control Plan prepared by Architectus.
The key to success was a sensitive understanding of the intrinsic qualities of the site and maintaining a link to its extraordinary history.
The original 1880s cricket pitch still existed on the site which was host to the first Lord Sheffield Shield cricket tour in 1892. The cricket oval became the centrepiece amenity of the new village.
In the early twentieth century the site was an aerodrome which saw Australia’s first passenger flight depart for Parramatta, which will be interpreted into a Council community centre adjacent to the oval.
The remnant alignment of the 1920s speedway sets some of the new road patterns. Vistas to two nineteenth century heritage houses connect the central green with the periphery of the site and also provide the alignment for a water quality control system.
There will be 800 dwellings for 2000 residents and employment for 1000 people on the site which will be served by excellent public transport including express trains to Central Sydney from the adjacent Penrith rail station, a bus transitway to the ADI site and a large multi-level commuter carpark near the rail station.
- Commonwealth Department of Defence
- Penrith, NSW
- Floor area
- Original value
- Michael Harrison
- 2003 PIA Award for Planning Excellence - Urban Design Plans and Ideas
Also in this category
- 169 Macquarie Street Parramatta - Planning
- Auckland CBD Streetscapes
- Auckland: Lorne St Cultural Precinct
- Auckland: Quay Street
- Auckland: Queen Street
- Baima Lake Master Plan
- Bluewater Quay Mackay
- Bungarribee Precinct Western Sydney Parklands
- Cairns City Centre Master Plan
- Central Sydney Plan
- City of Sydney Heritage DCP
- Crown Street Reservoir Planning Approval
- Eastern Creek Business Hub
- Epping Town Centre Urban Activation Precinct
- Ermington Master Plan
- Green Square Built Form Review
- Guangzhou Nansha Pearl Bay Master Plan
- Hastings Street Streetscape
- Hobsonville The Landing
- James Cook University Discovery Rise
- Karanga Plaza, Wynyard Quarter
- Liverpool River Connections
- Lorne Street Shared Space
- Macquarie Park Plan Review
- Marrickville Urban Strategy
- Papua New Guinea National Museum and Art Gallery Master Plan
- Parramatta CBD Planning Framework Study
- Potts Hill Residential Estate
- Rhodes West Development Control Plan
- Southport Broadwater
- St Vincents Hospital Caritas Planning Approval
- Thornton Park Master Plan
- Ultimo Pyrmont Precinct Plan
- University of NSW Village Student Housing Planning Approval
- Wallarah Peninsula
- Walsh Bay Development Plan
- Wuhu City East
- Wynyard Quarter