- About Us
St Michael’s Grammar School, The Gipson Commons
Architectus has completed a new K-Year 12 educational building for St Michael’s Grammar School, known as The Gipson Commons.
Rising over three levels The Gipson Commons includes spaces for Knowledge, Science, Food Technology and School Café within an urban context of adjacent apartments, townhouses and individual residences amid a busy road.
At ground level the building works seamlessly with the ground plane of the School campus – revealing a cafeteria space that is almost part of the landscape – a space for refueling, recreation, learning and social interaction.
The stairway to the upper levels marks the transition into more dedicated spaces for learning.
The uppermost floors of the building are dedicated to a hybrid Science/Knowledge facility, where practical areas are defined by the need for specialist services and the interstitial space can be used by class groups, individual learning and group work with reflective zones located away from social ‘centres’.
These ‘spaces for possibilities’ are premised on the Balinese House – consisting of a spacious courtyard (atrium) with small pavilions (pods), and ringed by a wall (façade).
These visually and acoustically screened pods are the structural framework and also provide a further array of learning environments and opportunities.
This is not a single building but a neighbourhood of purposeful spaces.
The dual-level blending of Science Technology and Knowledge is part of a reimagining of Science through ‘socialising’ it and making it more attractive to students by seamlessly combining research with experimentation and discussion so that teaching and learning synergies are fully supported and encouraged.
The central atrium ‘connects’ the specialist and general learning spaces, promoting ‘possibilities’ through varied and targeted use of space. This central space is the physical manifestation of “The Commons” as an area that is used and enjoyed by all.
- St. Michael’s Grammar School
- Floor area
- 6000 m²
- Original value
- John Sprunt
Also in this category
- Arts West, University of Melbourne
- Auckland Grammar School Specialist Block
- Auckland Grammar School Sports Complex - Gymnasium
- Ballarat & Clarendon College Visual Arts Centre
- Balwyn High School Year 9 Explore Centre
- Camberwell Grammar School HR McDonald Building
- Canterbury College Junior School
- Haileybury Brighton Junior School + Girls Middle School
- James Cook University Clinical Practices Building
- Korowa Anglican Girls’ Senior School Redevelopment
- Learning Environments Spatial Lab
- Mandeville Centre, Loreto Toorak
- Mathematics Statistics and Computer Sciences Building
- Netball Court Cover - The University of Auckland
- Pakuranga Children’s Health Camp
- Population Health Complex The University of Auckland
- Saint Kentigern School Jubilee Sports Centre
- St Andrew's College Chapel
- St Cuthbert's College Performing Arts Centre
- St Cuthbert’s College Centennial Centre
- St Michael’s Grammar Allan Pizzey Building
- St Michael’s Grammar School, The Gipson Commons
- St Peter's College Middle School
- St Peter's College Sports Complex
- St Peter's College Technology Building
- St Sebastian's Primary School
- Star of the Sea Performing Arts Centre
- Sustainable Industries Education Centre (SIEC)
- Sydney Nanoscience Hub
- Te Puni Village, Victoria University of Wellington
- Teacher Support Services Centre
- The Tintern Schools Middle Schools, Ringwood
- The University of Auckland Sector 200 Master Plan
- The University of Queensland School of Veterinary Science
- University of Queensland Fitness & Aquatic Centre
- University of the Sunshine Coast Chancellery
- Victoria University of Wellington Campus Hub & Library
- Werrington Park Corporate Centre
- William Macmahon Ball Theatre, Faculty of Arts