- About Us
Leicester Street Village, University of Melbourne
The brief required a substantial development of student accommodation on an inner urban site, fronting Leicester Street (between Queensberry and Pelham Streets). The location is ideally positioned between the CBD, and the University of Melbourne’s Parkville campus.
The scale of the project required consideration of the contribution the project could make to the public domain – in addition to meeting the primary objective of significantly increasing the University’s student accommodation portfolio.
The proposal develops a strong urban design solution that:
- strengthens, connects with and enhances the existing urban pattern
- creates an architecture that acknowledges adjacent building amenity
- provides an affordable residential amenity for tertiary students.
The introduction of a new laneway, proposed as an urban device to directly connect Bouverie Street with Leicester Street, also provides a north facing laneway frontage and Village Square. This tactic immediately enlivens the project - breaking down a potentially large and bulky institutional volume into smaller parts. The residential frontage is then maximized along the depth of the block, running east west, giving the majority of multi-room apartments a north facing orientation, to underpin the 5 Star Green Star requirement.
The underlying spatial logic has the effect of reducing street impact, adding a new laneway connection to the city and reducing environmental impact on adjacent properties (that would otherwise be impossible to avoid with a single tower or perimeter solution).
At the heart of the design approach is the creation of a facility that supports academic, cultural and social life – adding to the city through the combined effect of how the new building and Village Square are composed – inviting connectivity, activation and participation, as part of the knowledge transfer agenda of the University of Melbourne.
Also in this category
- 115 Bathurst Street
- 443 Queen Street
- Australia National University Laurus Wing Modular Student Housing
- Australian National University Mt Stromlo Student Housing
- Avenue House
- Beijing 8 Chang’an
- Byron Bay House
- Clifford-Forsyth House
- Clothiers Creek House
- Dunstan Grove, Lindfield
- Edwards House
- Harbord Diggers Redevelopment
- Highgate Hill House
- House of Orange
- Kerrisdale Gardens Aged Care Community
- Leicester Street Village, University of Melbourne
- Na’s House
- North Eveleigh Affordable Housing
- North Shore House
- Ocean Beach Hotel
- One Queensbridge
- Shout Ridge, Lindfield
- Site 68 Sydney Olympic Park
- Skye Niseko, Hokkaido
- St Lucia House
- Te Horo House
- The Women’s College New Student Accommodation
- Toy Box House
- Trinity Apartments
- University of Newcastle Student Housing
- UNSW Village
- UWS Student Housing
- ‘Islands’ South Beach