Land Warfare Training Centre

Land Warfare Training Centre

Architectus was given a stringent brief that demanded a high level of compliance with Department of Defence security requirements and performance criteria.

Sited amongst established River Red Gums, great care was taken to retain significant trees to maintain environmental integrity. This quality is enhanced by the silvery, low-slung form and restrained material palette that assists with the building's discrete ‘camouflage' fit.

The initial building concept offered a strong, pure form with three distinct zones. Primarily designed for two Defence training units, the facility is shared by the Training Development Centre (TDC), and the Land Warfare Centre (LWC). Both departments have administration areas, individual offices, and shared resources in the facility's southern zone. Teaching spaces in the northern zone include 10 medium sized seminar spaces and a computer teaching lab. The third zone comprises space for reception, amenities, break-out and lecture theatre.

The building's three wings are arranged around a generous central courtyard edged with a continuation of the arid landscape.

Consistent with this is the adoption of ESD strategies which have resulted in a project of high passive energy performance. Incorporated initiatives include extensive cross ventilation, solar collectors, heat purging, water collection and recycling.

Project Sheet

Project Summary

Client
Grocon Pty Ltd
Location
Watsonia, Victoria, Australia
Floor area
1600 m²
Completed
2007
Original value
$6m
Contact

Awards

  • Shortlisted 2009 RAIA VIC Public Architecture Award