- About Us
Boroondara Community Health Centre Extension
The Boroondara Community Health Centre occupied the former Hawthorn Post Office for over a decade until the increasing demand for community health services instigated a bold expansion plan.
Adding onto a heritage building is never easy. In this case the 1908 Romanesque Revival red brick and sandstone building also had an at-grade carpark to the rear, and the parking capacity had to be retained in any new development.
Rather than diminishing the presence of the heritage building by replicating its language, the new two storey extension, with carpark below, takes its cue from a previous brickwork addition built along the western boundary accommodating a café, and facing onto the civic plaza. The overall form is a gabled rectangle, clad in metal wall sheeting that extends over the roof to give a consistent and homogeneous appearance – reinforcing the object as a ‘box’.
Windows are arranged as vertical apertures, relating back to the proportions of the heritage Post Office. The openings along the west and east elevations set deep into the cladding, shading the glass and exposing colourful reveals. Windows on the south elevation are large picture windows, with views out through the existing eucalypts in the adjacent council car park.
Fencing around the site and car park is perforated metal sheet, screen printed with images of vegetation. In addition to screening the carpark and defining the site boundary, this ‘verdant’ fencing forms a base to the new extension; visually connecting the elevated building to the ground plane and playfully integrating with the surrounding greenery.
The expansion has created additional consulting rooms, offices and open plan workstation areas, enabling Boroondara Community Health Centre to continue delivering first class health services to the community.
- Inner East Community Health Service
- Floor area
- 550 m²
- Original value
- Ian Davidson
Also in this category
- AMI Stadium
- Aotea Square Redevelopment Architectural Elements
- Boroondara Community Health Centre Extension
- Brisbane Powerhouse Refurbishment
- Christchurch New Central Library
- International Criminal Court
- Maanshan Administration Centre, China
- New Lynn Community Centre
- Nunawading Fire Station
- Papua New Guinea National Museum and Art Gallery
- Queen Elizabeth II Courts of Law
- Queensland Emergency Operations Centre
- Queensland Gallery of Modern Art
- Shepparton Law Court Redevelopment
- Sydney International Convention Exhibition and Entertainment Precinct
- Waitakere Central Library & UNITEC Facilities
- Waitakere Civic Centre
- Waitakere Civil Defence Headquarters