- About Us
Aotea Square Redevelopment Architectural Elements
The Aotea Square Redevelopment Project was initiated when it was discovered that construction decay, caused by years of water ingress, threatened to collapse the car park roof, on which the Square sits. This situation threatened not only the viability of the existing Square but also the Aotea Centre, which is accessed from the Square.
Raising the level of the Square to accommodate the new car park roof presented the opportunity to design a new entry lobby, steps and terraces along the eastern facade of The Edge.
New canopies to the Aotea Centre and Bledisloe entry use elegant steel and fritted glass canopies with aluminium fins to shade the terraces, shelter cafe patrons and afford covered circulation along the edge of the Square.
A new cafe and box office (The Box) has been located adjacent to the main entrance, encouraging activity on the frontage. The cafe opens out onto the terrace overlooking the Square and internally into the main foyer.
New entry portals to the car park were required to accommodate the new Square level. New stairs have been constructed within glazed enclosures that employ a form of architectural glass construction utilising mortise and tenon glass-to-glass construction for the first time in New Zealand.
- Auckland Council
- Floor area
- Original value
- Malcolm Bowes
- NZIA Auckland Architecture Award 2011 – Public Architecture
- Property Council New Zealand Merit Award – Special Purpose 2011
Also in this category
- AMI Stadium
- Aotea Square Redevelopment Architectural Elements
- Boroondara Community Health Centre Extension
- Brisbane Powerhouse Refurbishment
- Christchurch New Central Library
- International Criminal Court
- Maanshan Administration Centre, China
- New Lynn Community Centre
- Nunawading Fire Station
- Papua New Guinea National Museum and Art Gallery
- Queen Elizabeth II Courts of Law
- Queensland Emergency Operations Centre
- Queensland Gallery of Modern Art
- Shepparton Law Court Redevelopment
- Sydney International Convention Exhibition and Entertainment Precinct
- Waitakere Central Library & UNITEC Facilities
- Waitakere Civic Centre
- Waitakere Civil Defence Headquarters