- About Us
32 Drake Street
"...some of the city's best recent architecture."
- Prof. Andrew Barrie. Block Magazine February 2010, City Guide.
The four storey mixed use building has been designed to have a continuous perimeter wall and appears to occupy the whole site. Into this wrapped volume two courtyards have been inserted, which structure the building. The proportions of the resulting building footprint respond to the adjacent urban grain.
The western courtyard is full height (level 1-4) and is accessible directly off Drake Street. This courtyard accommodates pedestrian and vehicle access (via car lift to the basement) and features a courtyard garden. The eastern courtyard is arranged over levels 3 and 4 only and provides additional natural light for the apartments on the top two floors. The building has two different envelopes which underline its spatial configuration:
- the Drake Street façade and perimeter walls along the site boundaries (the outer wrap)
- the facades in the courtyards (the inner linings).
The first "public" envelope is constructed of pre-cast concrete with an off-the-shutter timber board finish. The orientation of the finish shifts between levels and uses. The more "private" courtyard elevations show a timber cladding which resembles the shuttering pattern to the exterior. The commercial levels 1 and 2 comprise flexible, well lit space. Both levels are served by the lift/staircase at the rear of the site. The residential levels 3 and 4 have been arranged as one apartment per floor, affording a recessed terrace facing Drake Street with views over the Market to Victoria Park.
- Richard Mora/Michael Allpress
- Auckland, New Zealand
- Patrick Clifford
Also in this category
- 1 Bligh Street, Sydney
- 100 Mount Street
- 11-15 Breakfast Creek Road, Brisbane
- 111 George Street, Parramatta Planning Approval
- 111 Wellesley Street
- 151 Clarence Street
- 152 Fanshawe Street
- 2 Australia Avenue Sydney Olympic Park
- 200 George Street, Sydney
- 225 Macquarie Street
- 241 O'Riordan Street
- 32 Drake Street
- 5 Eden Park Drive
- 85 Fort Street
- Albert Street Tower
- Architectus MLC Studio
- Ergon Energy Mackay Corporate Office & Workshop
- Ergon Energy Training & Development Skills Facility
- One Parramatta Square
- Patrick Corporation
- Qantas Headquarters Redevelopment
- Telecom Place
- Werrington Park Corporate Centre
- Wesley House
- Wynyard Place, Sydney